What It Takes to Work in HVAC

RSI is a Great Training Option for Everyone

Learn more about how we can prepare you to advance your career.

If you enjoy working with your hands and are looking for a career field that is set to offer plenty of job opportunities for the foreseeable future, then HVAC may be just right for you. Following is an overview outlining how long it will take for you to study this trade and receive various types of certification.

Trade School Training

The length of a trade school study program will depend on which exact trade school you study. For example, RSI offers vocational training programs in HVAC that can be completed in as little as 6 months.

Enrolling in a shorter program has a number of advantages. Tuition will be lower than a four year university and it enables you to jump into the workforce quickly, allowing you to start making money without undue delay. While you may need to take additional, specialized courses in order to work in a particular HVAC field or obtain further certification, such training programs and workshops may also be taken while holding down a part- or even full-time job.


Most states do not require HVAC workers to obtain licensing, but some do. In fact, some states require that you work under the supervision of a licensed HVAC technician for a certain amount of time before receiving an HVAC contractor license. Requirements vary from state to state; for example, in Texas and California, you need four years of experience in order to apply. In Georgia, you need four years of experience to obtain a restricted license and five years of experience to obtain an unrestricted one. In Florida, you need either four years of experience or a bachelor’s degree and one year of experience. Furthermore, you may be required to get continuing education in order to keep your license, as HVAC technology is changing at a rapid pace and you will need to learn how to work with new tools and materials on an ongoing basis.

Additional Certification

Additional forms of certification can enable you to handle specialized jobs in the HVACR field. For instance, those who work with refrigerants will need EPA 608 certification. There are three forms of certification in this field, each allowing one to handle different refrigerant-related jobs. Other certification options include obtaining NATE certification, HVAC Excellence Certification and certification from the National Occupational Competency Testing Institute or the Refrigeration Service Engineers Society.

Get Started on the Path to a New Career

Fill out our form to learn how we can help you change your life.

You are giving your express written consent for The Refrigeration School to contact you regarding our educational programs and services using email, telephone or text including our use of automated technology for calls or texts to any wireless number you provide. This consent is not required to purchase goods or services and you may always call us directly at (888) 671-5803.

+ Read More

There is no experience requirement for those who want to take one or more EPA 608 Certification exams. However, those who seek other certifications will need to have at least one year of installation experience and two years of HVAC repair and maintenance experience.

Invest In Your Future—Starting Now

HVAC training may be completed in as little as six months. Additional certification can allow you to take on specialized tasks, increase the number of job opportunities at your disposal, and increase your earning potential. Contact The Refrigeration School today to learn more about enrollment and how to get started in a vocational training program that could be your first step to a rewarding career.

This blog has been labeled as archived as it may no longer contain the most up-to-date data. For a list of all current blog posts, please visit our blog homepage at https://www.rsi.edu/blog/